You searched for keyword certificates

Comments Off   |  

Frequently Asked Questions

Medical Examiners Office (ME)

Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I get a copy of the Death Certificate?

Death Certificates are available from the Register of Deeds Office. Our staff does not provide copies. On occasion, an exact cause and manner of death is not immediately determined following an autopsy or investigation. Special laboratory tests or further investigation may be necessary. As a result, there are occasions when a death certificate may not be available for several weeks or longer. In those situations, a pending death certificate will be filed and later replaced with an amended death certificate once the cause and manner has been established.

How do I get a disinterment permit?

Please call the Medical Examiners Office and make an appointment to meet with the Medical Examiner.  An application will be given for the disinterment. The application must be filled out accurately before a permit is issued. There is a fee for this service.

How do I obtain a copy of the Medical Examiners report, autopsy results, toxicology results and other information regarding a death investigation?

Please call our office at 715-532-2283 (not staffed)  and leave a message for the ME. For most requests, you will need to provide specific information in writing. There is a fee for this service for the agencies or individuals requesting information. Photographs are not provided without a court order to release the photos.

Why is the Medical Examiners Office involved?

Wisconsin State Statute 979 sets the guidelines for Coroners and Medical Examiners in Wisconsin. All deaths in Rusk County regardless of cause and manner are reportable to the ME office. The ME and/or Deputy ME will determine if our office will need to investigate deaths reported to our office.

Will an autopsy be performed?

An autopsy will be performed when there is a need to establish or confirm a cause and manner of death for the purpose of issuing a death certificate, in cases involving criminal or suspected criminal wrongdoing and in any case which an autopsy is considered to be prudent at the ME's discretion.

Will I be able to view the body at the Medical Examiners Office or morgue?

Under certain rare circumstances family members are asked to positively identify an individual. Our office and morgue are not designed for viewing decedents. We do, however, contact the funeral homes that your loved one is transported to for this purpose.

What should I do after being made aware of a death and the involvement of the ME?

Selection of a funeral home or cremation facility of your choice is important for your loved ones release from our custody. Select a funeral home or cremation facility and advise the funeral director of the involvement of our office. Funeral directors are familiar with the operation of our office and will assist you in making all arrangements for final disposition, including obtaining a death certificate. The funeral director will also receive the decedent's personal property that is not being held as evidence.

Comments   |  

Vital Records

 Vital Records

Applications For Vital Records

Fees For All Vital Records

  • First Copy: $20.00
  • Each Additional Copy: $3.00

*Rate applies only when additional copies are ordered at the same time as the first copy.

Order Through Mail

Mail application, copy of Drivers License or ID & Payment to:


Acceptable forms of payment include certified bank or cashier's check made payable to "Register of Deeds." Personal checks will also be accepted.

 Online Ordering of Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates

Comments   |  

Veteran Services

Veteran Services

Veterans Service Officer: Ron Moser
E-mail address:
Telephone: 715-532-2299 or 715-532-2293
Hours: 8:00 A.M. - 4:30 P.M.
Monday - Friday

Fly your flag
Thank a Veteran
And thank you!

General information and assistance available with applications for local, state, and federal veterans’ benefits to include:

Recently Discharged Veterans: Complete benefits review, Record DD-214, Dental Care, Military pay problems, SGLI insurance.

Disabled Veterans: Any illness or injury that happened in service that is a problem now or could be a problem in the future,

  1. Claims for compensation
  2. Filing appeals
  3. Vocational rehabilitation

Education Benefits: A chance to expand on skills learned in the military,

  1. GI Bill (all types)
  2. Part-time study grants
  3. Work-study jobs
  4. Education loans
  5. Retraining grants
  6. 100% Tuition reimbursement

Home Buying & Improvements: For a better place to live,

  1. Certificates of eligibility
  2. VA guaranteed loans 
  3. Home Improvement loans.
Financial Assistance:A place to turn for essential or emergency needs,

  1. Low-interest loans
  2. Business
  3. Personal
  4. Veterans Commission Funds

In Time of Illness: Health care for veterans and their dependents,

  1. VA Hospital enrollment
  2. Health care grants, veterans and dependants
  3. Subsistence grants
  4. Medical bill loans
  5. Non-service-connected disability pension
  6. Tri Care

Senior Citizens: Retirement options,

  1. Vets Home at Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
  2. Vets Home at King, Wisconsin
  3. Vets home at Union Grove, Wisconsin
  4. Non-service-connected pension
  5. Completion of VA Annual Income Questionnaire Forms
In Time Of Death and Memorial:Help for families as we honor and remember those who served our country:

  1. D.I.C.
  2. Death pension
  3. Burial allowance
  4. Burial markers
  5. Survivors benefits
  6. Burial flag
  7. Government life insurance
  8. Flag holders
  9. Presidential certificates.

Other Services:

  1. Obtain military awards
  2. Obtain military records
  3. Providing grave information
  4. Speaking to organizations
  5. Home and hospital visits
  6. Outreach to prisoners
  7. Pre-death counseling
  8. Grave registrations
  9. Liaison among vets groups

Comments   |  

Senior Services

Senior Services

Rusk County Senior Services, a Division of Rusk County Health and Human Services, provides information and services for the County's older residents. The programs are planned, maintained and coordinated by the Senior Services staff, the Senior Services Advisory Board, and the Health and Human Services Board.

Rusk County Senior Services Director is Erika Robinson and Trista Krukowski is the Benefit Specialist/Care Call Coordinator. The Senior Services office is located on the second floor of the Courthouse.

Nutrition Services

The nutrition program is funded by federal and state grants, the US Department of Agriculture, Rusk County, local contributions and donations from meal participants.

The meals are intended for people 60 and over and their spouses. Eligiable meal recipients are provided with the opportunity to donate toward the cost of the meal. The amount contributed is kept confidential. No one will ever be denied nutrition services due to inability to donate. Those under 60 are required to pay the full cost of the meal.

Congregate Meals

congregate meal sites provide senior citizens with a hot, nutritious meal and the opportunity to visit with other senior citizens, to become a volunteer worker and to join social activities. A one-day advance reservation is requested. Meals are served at 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday.

Rusk County Fairgrounds
Main Street
Parksite Apts.
Main Street
Heuer Harbour Housing


Home Delivered Meals

A referral from a doctor, Public Health nurse, social worker or the Senior Services Director is required. The spouse of an eligible person, regardless of age and condition, is also considered eligible if receipt of the meals is in the best interest of the homebound person.

Meal Tickets

Meal Tickets or meal gift certificates may be purchased at any meal site or the Senior Services office.

Nutritional Supplement

Senior Services has a nutritional supplement (NuBasics from Nestle's) available at a discount price. A variety of flavors is available.

Bus Tokens

Bus token for the Indianhead City Bus in Ladysmith may be purchased at the Senior Services Office.

Walker Bags

Senior Services has walker tote bags available free of charge.

Benefit Specialist Program

The Benefit Specialist Program is a specialized service provided within Senior Services. The Benefit Specialist will help you with your questions about:

  • Social Security/SSI
  • Homestead Tax
  • Nursing Home Issues
  • Housing Issues
  • Consumer Issues
  • Living Wills/Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care
  • Medicare & Medicare Supplement Insurance

Call our Benefit Specialist at 532-2174 about questions you may have. There are no charges for the services provided, but donations are greatly appreciated.

Care Call Program

The Care Call Program provides installation, service calls and assisance for emergency response telephones. For information, call 532-2174.


The "Rusk County SOURCE" is published once a month. It contains information on national, state and local senior issues and programs, as well as human interest stories and news from our senior citizen centers. The "SOURCE" is available free of charge at business locations throughout the county at all five meal sites and at the Senior Services office. The "SOURCE" can be mailed to your home for an annual donation of $5.28 to cover the cost of postage. It is also available on cassettes for the visually impaired.

Rusk County Senior Services is the lead agency for elder abuse reporting. To report physical abuse, emotional abuse, material abuse or neglect, call the Senior Services Director at 532-2158, the Time-Out Family Abuse Shelter at 532-7089 or Health and Human Services at 532-2299.

Alzheimer's Disease Support Group

Support group meets the second Thursday of every month from 1:30 to 3:00 PM at the Rusk County Community Library at 418 W Corbett Ave in Ladysmith. The group is for family members, caregivers and friends of those afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease and related disorders.

Visually Impaired Support Group

Support group meets the fourth Wednesday of each month at 1:00 OM at the Ladysmith Senior Center.

Information and Assistance

Rusk County Senior Services acts as a focal point for the county's older residents to obtain information and access to the services of other agencies.

Courthouse, Suite C260
311 Miner Avenue East
Ladysmith, WI 54848
(715) 532-2299

For more information about these services or programs, stop by or call our office. Office hours are 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday

Comments   |  

Register of Deeds

Register of Deeds:

Carol Johnson


Deputy ROD
Judy Srp

Clerical Aide
Brenda Lane


311 Miner Ave E.
Suite 132N
Ladysmith, WI 54848

Office Hours:

8:00-4:30 Monday-Friday *Closed Holidays


(715) 532-2139


(715) 532-2194


Register of Deeds

Welcome to the Rusk County Register of Deeds Website.

We are here to serve you.

Please contact our office at 715-532-2139 with any questions. Thank You.

Online Ordering of Birth, Death, and Marriage Certificates

 Online Ordering of Documents


DILHR Agent: Our office serves as a DILHR agent for validating weatherization documents, without any charge.

The Register of Deeds is a constitutional officer elected by the County electorate.

Mission Statement

To provide and protect the integrity of the official county repository for:

  • Real estate records (deeds, land contracts, mortgages, etc.)
  • Real property related financing statements.
  • Vital records (birth, death, marriage, domestic partnership and military discharges.

To provide safe archival storage and convenient access to these public records.

To implement statutory changes, system modernization, program and procedure
evaluation and staff development to assure a high level of timely service for our